Monday, August 04, 2014

Artist's Diary week ending 3rd August

Big Brushes & New Brushstrokes

Check out these lovely brushes at
Glamourpuss Vintage, Wisemans Ferry





I spent the first day at the week manning The Ferry Artists Gallery. Always a pleasure, I get to see the new works, try on jewelry and catch up with visitors to Wisemans Ferry.











Here is a picture I just had to take one evening, I was walking the dogs over at my father in law's property and stood stunned and delighted at the sight- this is Creation. What we do as artists is only a muddy impression, and if you want to believe that this beauty (or our ability to perceive and appreciate it), is a random coincidence, thats fine too. 


Clay faces and glazing were the order of the day on Thursday. I went on to visit The Art Scene for some framing and then on to Gallery Lane Cove to deliver works for their upcoming exhibition for the Lane Cove Art Society.

I had a brilliant weekend. Needing a break from my gruelling exhibition schedule, I booked myself into a workshop with Peter Griffen via the Art Gallery NSW. Friday was spent at the Art Gallery checking out the Archibald/Sulman/Wynne prizes. This is what most artists aspire to be in at least once in their career. I think I have entered the Wynne for landscape about 3 times, so I'm only really a newbie according to a dear friend of mine who has been entering for many years and is yet to be accepted.

Click on the links to see online this years finalists. Archibald. Sulman. Wynne.

A little piece of textile art by Denise Lithgow
The 'other' model









At Peter and Denise's wonderful studio home in Leichardt I was treated to gourmet lunches and lots of paint! I wanted to step outside of what I naturally do, and experiment. Saturday we had a lovely model  and on Sunday we were tutored by Paul Macklin as Peter was unable to be there.

Here is a hint of the madness that took hold of my brushes. No finished work, but that was the whole idea - just to paint with no agenda and no pressure to be 'good'.



I popped into Breathing Colours on my drive home Saturday and attended the opening Pearl Moon's lovely wearable art exhibition. And although I was in a derelict state (old clothes, and little makeup), I tried on some clothes and and may possibly have bought a dress.














Coming up this week:

Lane Cove Art Awards - Friday 8 August

Wall to Wall - Ferry Artists Gallery, Saturday 9 August

Julie Simmon's exhibition 'scapes, Breathing Colours Balmain, Saturday 9 August

Just in case you are worried that my painting style has totally changed I did finish a couple more little gardens for my coming show at the end of the month


Garden Study 30cm sq

Garden Study 30cm sq





No comments: