Tuesday, October 07, 2014

Artists Diary - my week

Driving, Hiking, Painting

Just come back from a very relaxing long weekend in Southern Queensland. Stayed at Girraween Environmental Lodge - amidst the lovely Girraween National Park. The main reason for the trip was a family (Devine) celebration and I took the opportunity to go painting outdoors - something I have had very little opportunity to do.

I thought acrylics might be the best to pack as that is the medium I am most familiar with, and I want to make sure the paintings dried quickly so as not to inconvenience the rest of the family in transit. I also took my daughter's back pack - bought for school hiking but never used. Backpack on my back I climbed the hills to a couple of beautiful spots and settled in to paint (praying I would not see any snakes). I could only manage a couple of hours at a time, so I wasnt really aiming to finish anything, but I am very happy with the experience. Sipping tea from a thermos, watching the little birds and lizards amongst the wildflowers prevalent at this time of year, I was already promising myself more Plein Air excursions in the near future - hopefully regular ones!























Hopefully I can finish some of these soon!

Other things achieved in the week - took a big painting to the framers, sold a commissioned painting and managed to receive a commended and a highly commended at the Parramatta Art Awards.


Nothing new coming up this week - but I will recommend a visit to Parramatta Town Hall for their exhibition still on (Finishes Sunday 12). Also opening is a new show at Purple Noon Gallery, featuring works by Ros Goody, Carl Stringfellow and Phillip Nolan.



No comments: